The IRLC suggests three different types of educational programmes in a year-round curriculum. These are pre-university programmes, short-term intensive courses of Russian language and culture, basic and upgraded courses for teachers of Russian as a foreign language.
Science and methodology
The methods and principles of teaching Russian as a foreign language in the IRLC are based not only on old techniques but now include modern educational models.
The main science conference of the IRLC – the annual international science and practice conference, also known as “The Russian cultural space” – has grown in size and importance. The other science and practice conference is the biannual conference on “The methods of teaching different subjects for foreign students”.
“The open lecture hall: past, present and future of Russian as a foreign language” has become a part of the science and methodology work of the Institute since 2017. The speakers include some of the top specialists, the creators of a branch of applied linguistics named “Russian as a foreign language”, the authors of the textbooks and methodology papers, professors from the biggest Russian universities, who specialise in pre-university studies for foreign students.
The Institute participates in all science and educational projects established in MSU , including: the annual science conference “Lomonosov readings”, the all-Russia meetings of teachers of Russian language and literature, The Society of Russian Literature, online Friendship Fests, and more besides. The new online project “Russian Saturdays” was started on the IRLC platform in January 2021. It was made by the International Association of Teachers of Russian Language and Literature (MAPRYAL), Association of Russianists of Slovakia (ARS), and MSU.
Plans of the Institute of Russian Language and Culture, Lomonosov Moscow State University
The Institute continuously seeks to develop and improve on the traditional methods of teaching Russian as a foreign language, and simultaneously looks to adapt or devise new ideas in the field. Thus, we have the distant programmes in supplementary professional education, long-distance courses for foreigners, creation of new textbooks and manuals, participation in science and education projects, and much more besides.
Areas of activities
The main activities of the Institute of Russian Language and Culture are:
- preparing foreign entrants for study at MSU and other higher educational institutions in Russia as part of a programme of the preparatory faculty, including the teaching of Russian as a foreign language and preparing general subjects;
- training Russian language and humanities students from foreign universities who come to Russia on a language placement;
- preparing for testing and testing of Russian as a foreign language for foreigners, economic migrants and Russian citizenship applicants;
- developing and conducting advanced training courses;
- developing and implementing educational programmes, courses, textbooks and manuals on Russian as a foreign language and Russian as a second language;
- developing and implementing training systems for all foreigners, regardless of profession or age, wishing to learn Russian in Russia or abroad;
- developing and implementing testing systems and standards for the evaluation of proficiency levels of Russian as a foreign language and Russian as a second language, preparing test materials for foreigners, economic migrants and Russian citizenship applicants;
- organising seminars and conferences relating to the problems of preservation, dissemination and teaching of Russian abroad and in national schools in Russia; participating in public and grant programmes.